Teacher training workshops
Extending our commitment in the community
A research-validated reading programme
This is an experiential workshop where you will learn how to implement the AVAILLL
programme by actually doing it yourself. Additionally you will learn about the theory behind the programme, a brief summary of the research evidence and finally how to get ready for AVAILLL in the classroom.
The workshop is unique in that you also will do all this while watching a DVD!!
The workshop is delivered by the creative director of AVAILLL, Chuck Marriott
• the theory and history behind AVAILLL
• the Four Core Activities
• two activities that reach deeper into literacy skills
• class organisation and management
• why AVAILLL engages all students- even those who
can be most difficult to teach
• how to use the AVAILLL manual
• getting ready for AVAILLL in your classroom
In primary and intermediate classes AVAILLL usually replaces the traditional instructional reading programme (English in high school).
Teachers follow the easy to use AVAILLL lesson manual for the class level being taught. As students read/watch the movies with the subtitle feature turned on, they complete literacy activities designed to develop multiple aspects of literacy such as:
• strategies of comprehension, fluency, summarizing, note taking, identifying key words, vocabulary and spelling
“…I am really delighted with the change in the kids. Even if the research results show little upward movement, the differences in the kids are worth their weight in gold!! The main differences are as follows:
Kids are all on time for class – amazing!!
Kids are all ready to work – amazing!!
Kids are always asking what we are going to do today – amazing!!
Every kid is working hard – amazing!!“Papanui High School
View our other workshops
This workshop is for teachers
(includes morning tea)
- 5 March @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm at Wellington
- 20 March @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm at Palmerston North
- 7 May @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm at Rotorua
- 21 May @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm at Hastings
- 11 June @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm at Nelson
DOWNLOAD BOOKING FORM