Teacher training workshops
Extending our commitment in the community
Reading intervention for older students ( years 3-8)
SevenPlus is a short-term reading intervention for students who are reading at least at the average reading attainment for a seven-year-old and who are behind the National Standard for their class. It assumes the students have learned most of the very early skills that are taught in the first two years, such as basic phonics and early reading strategies.
SevenPlus is easily learned by a qualified teacher. It can also be used, following training, by a paraprofessional, who receives ongoing support from a trained teacher who has had recent successful experience using SevenPlus.
SevenPlus uses a combination of direct instruction and teaching using authentic text, so that reading skills are generalised into everyday reading.
SevenPlus procedures never ask the student to read by themselves until they can read the text with complete success. Low progress readers have had enough of reading being hard and sounding hard!
• is used effectively with an individual or with a group of up to six students
• builds on the students’ strengths and addresses those areas that are underdeveloped
• is used in the classroom or as a withdrawal programme
• is learned in a short period of time
• is used for students from Year 3 to Year 8+
• uses text that has rich language that will help to build vocabulary knowledge
• is engaging and success-driven.
“I have worked in classes with teachers and observed them using SevenPlus with great success. I have also recommended AVAILLL and WordLab after observing these programmes achieving literacy gains… Chuck has extensive knowledge of literacy acquisition and development and assessment; keeps up to date with new research and has been a fantastic source of support and advice on new resources and new research. I have always found his recommendations very helpful.”Rosemarie Hensley, Resource Teacher for Literacy,Burnside Primary, Christchurch
View our other workshops
For teachers and support staff
Includes $80 worth of resources!
(Price includes afternoon tea)
Participants will receive:
• a personalized copy of the SevenPlus manual
• 10 StoryBytes and 10 InfoBytes
DOWNLOAD BOOKING FORM